lunes, 22 de junio de 2009

Social action: at work!

On the following document I’m going to give people an update on my social action project "be the change" In the last weeks there has been a very good reception of the project with almost all students coming to class on time and with great attitude.

Whenever I see them I allways note a worried/ sad face on them so I ask them: Why... so..... serious? and then I thing for myself: we should do something to change this, so... let's put on a smile on that face!

The mothers have dropped that uncomfortable attitude that they use to have and have started to cooperate with us and even to participate in the activities with the children, but a negative thing I can said about them is that they usually beat up their children for any reason and have little or no education at all because they can't control their voice tone (they scream all the time) for any reason.


On the other hand, the attitude towards the cleaning ladies in my condo hasn’t change that much, they still don't want the students to come up to the condo, even if it’s to my apartment and has a good porpoise.
My neighbors have started calling names to the student's and usually refer to them as "that people" which is something ignorant that they do to try to hurt them.

Even though we have had a few issues the program is still on.

On my next post I’ll upload the month class schedule of the program.

Thanks for reading mates!
cheers to everybody ;)

3 comentarios:

  1. Jean - Discovering violence among family members is very painful, especially when it involves innocent children. Do you think this needs to be addressed?

    This is a great blog and I am glad that you are doing this service. Don't stop, keep going.

    Also, don't forget to reflect on the concepts we are learning in class in each blog entry if you can. This will help your actions become more effective.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You are doing with your free time exactly that the cognitive surplus video said, we have learn in this class how to dedicate our free time helping others and enjoying it. In this way we contribute with society and with our souls because social labor its an attitude and a way to think and leave.

    Why do you think that the other people in your build wanted to hurt with discrimination words at the kids? Do you think that they dont care? Or that they dont want to know what is the condition of this kids?
    What can you do to transform the way of think and act of this persons ?
    In my point of view they are like we were before the class, now we knew some thecnics to change this kind of individual into an active person. Can you explain it

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I thing the people in my condo are being ignorant, they think that they are the only people in this world that have rights. the right to be happy, to learn, to share with others, that is what (me encabrona) makes me angry about our stupid ecuadorian society. Aditionaly we've noticed that the kids have been reised to respond to the people that treats them bad with guilt or by not doing anything, its like they feel they are inferior to them, and that's what I've been trying to teach them all this time.

    To transform the ways of thinking of the people in my condo we did a meeting in my appartment, so they could met the children and their mothers, but then not all of the propietaries showed up, only a few. We show them this children and their mothers are not different from us and that they must try to understand that my iniciative will make no harm to the people in the condo.
    tnx for the comment

    ResponderEliminar